Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Thai Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I took this recipe from here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/thai-lettuce-wraps.html

But I changed it just a little bit. (Side note: I got really into writing this one down, so apologies for the novel. Feel free to ask any questions you have.)

The recipe calls for 2 chicken breasts but this marinade can stretch a bit farther than that, so if you're making more chicken than that you can still stick with this. 

Marinade:
1/3 cup of hoisin sauce
1/3 cup of soy sauce
2 tbsp of grated ginger
1/3 cup of honey
1 tbsp of Sambal Oelek chili paste (You could probably use Sriracha instead, but I definitely prefer this. Also, this isn't that spicy, if you want more kick you can definitely add more.)
1 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
3 cloves of minced garlic
3 tbsp of peanut butter

I think this may be considered unconventional in terms of marinades, but in order to have the peanut butter melt you need to cook this just for a little bit. And that's not really a bad thing. You get to wake up the flavors and they all get to mix and mingle. It's a good thing, really. So really you just need to cook this in a small pot long enough for the little pb chunks to go away, and maybe for a little bit of bubbling just to make things exciting.

Now that need to cool enough so that it doesn't poach your chicken if you put it into the marinade too soon. It doesn't need to be chilled, just not cooking capable. So really it makes for a nice time to work on your breasts. (SCANDALOUS)

I like to have my meat bite size, so I would cut my chicken into like maybe 1.5 in. cubes? Really the most important part is to keep it as uniform as possible so you don't have a bunch of both burnt and raw chicken. Moral of the story: whatever floats your boat.

So now you just put your chicken into the marinade and stick it in the fridge for as long as your comfortable. I'd say at least 30m.

After you have waited until you can wait no longer you get to cook your perfect little chicken babies. You want your pan on a decently high heat, but not too hot to burn the marinade before cooking the chicken. You don't need any oil or anything. What you're aiming for is a heat that will lead to a beautiful caramelization of your chicken that will turn the stuck-on marinade into a delicious glaze over each individual piece.
A NOTE: You're going to have to scoop the chicken out of the bag or bowl or whatever you had it sit in, with your hand. I don't know about you, but I get over zealous with my meat cooking and I dump all of what I have into the pan and I end up steaming instead of glazing or crisping or what have you. With my family we had to do a few batches of chicken cooking to get it all cooked. That's okay!

Now when it comes to the actual lettuce wrap, I prefer iceberg. I like the crunch and the sturdiness it has. As for the add ons, you can put what ever you like. I think the rice noodles are a terrible idea. They're so cumbersome to work with and add nothing to the dish. Mostly I preferred the cucumber. SO GOOD with the chicken. And then we also got little wonton strips that people sometimes get on their salads. They add that next level crunch that I'm really into.

SUPER YUMMY. Love you, bye!

0 comments:

Post a Comment