Friday, September 10, 2010

Laundry Day

On our floor we have three pairs of washer/dryers.  It is nice, but when you need to do laundry you have to keep checking to see when you can get your stuff in.  And even when a machine says it's ready for your clothes you can open it up and there will be someone else's clothes in there.

That is when you face a problem.  "Do I move their clothes?"  "Do I wait for them?"  "What if they take forever to move their stuff?"  "If I move it do I put it on top or put it in a dryer?"  Well. Today was laundry day.  And I had to ask myself those questions.

I went back and forth a couple of times to see when a washer was free and then finally it was.  Then I go back to my room and a haul my stuff to the washer room and I open it up to see that that there are clothes in it.  Well, I don't want to wait for a bit to find out that they moved their clothes and someone else took the washer.  So I take action.  I see that a dryer is done so I open it up and see... that there are clothes in it.  BUT there is a small basket next to this dryer.  The question asked is, "Is this basket corresponding with the clothes in this dryer or is it just a random basket?" So I take the leap and I grap the clothes and put them in the basket.  Mind you, they were clothes of a more... they were on the "whites" cycle.  So I had to handle someone's unmentionables.  So I was already too far into this to go back.

Now, I take the person's clothes that were in the washer into the dryer that I just emptied.  BUT NOW I had to think about whether I should start the dryer or not.  BECAUSE I didn't know if I could ruin anything or not.  So I stood there for a bit and decided that I wouldn't. Then I finally put my clothes in the washer and started 'er up.

I went back into my room, walked around, and decided that I needed to leave a note for the person whose clothes I took out of the washer and put into the dryer but did not start the dryer for.  SO I took my roommate with me and we went back to the washer room.

In this washer room there's a little white board but no marker.  So we went out into the hallway and borrowed a marker.  I thought about it for a little bit and decided that I didn't want to use the board because nobody really looks at the board.  So I wrote a note on the washer.



"Dear person in this washer before me,
I moved your clothes into dryer #1, but I didn't start it.  Sorry.  I didn't want to ruin anything.
I hope this erases.  It should.
Love,
I'm not putting my name, but I will clean this up if it leaves a mess.
Happy washing!"

Now I'm going to check my laundry.

2 comments:

marialuigi said...

Awesome! I love that you used a dry erase marker on the washer...very clever! I hope it erases, too...if it does, I'm sure that it will be a new way to communicate.

Laundry day...oh, the memories!

Melissa said...

You are so college-y! Laundry angst and note-leaving. The etiquette involved with washers and dryers is overwhelming. In Heritage Halls at BYU, if you took someone's clothes out of the dryer, you were expected to FOLD them. And everyone knew if you didn't. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience or anything.

Post a Comment