Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patty's Liquid Gold

Today is St. Patrick's Day!  I have no affiliation with this holiday!  I didn't even wear green.  I don't have much of it.  But today I was invited to a lovely St. Patrick's pancake party.  We went a little crazy with the green dye pretty much coloring everything that could be colored.  We even colored...  the buttermilk syrup that I brought!  Holy deliciousness.  I have always loved buttermilk syrup.  I've only had it a couple of times in my life.  I thought it was a rare thing that nobody really spoke of.  NOT ANYMORE.  I will be the missionary that spreads the good news that is buttermilk syrup.

I had never made it before, but it worked out quite nicely.  I used this recipe:

½ cups Butter
1 cup Sugar
½ cups Buttermilk
1 Tablespoon Karo Syrup
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Vanilla

In a LARGE pot, combine butter, sugar, buttermilk, and Karo syrup, and bring to a boil for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add baking soda and vanilla. Mixture will fizz to TWICE THE SIZE or more, so make sure you use a good-sized pot! Set it aside to thicken while stirring occasionally.  Consume.

I would like to try and make it again with out the Karo Syrup and see if it turns out just the same.   If so, I would totally omit it because it seems redundant.

To give you a feel for size, I doubled this and it was perfect for 12 people.

But seriously, guys. LIQUID GOLD.  Really.



Super delicious.  And SUPER easy to make.  The only problem is that now I have a bunch of buttermilk and no ideas for how to use it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment